When your morning begins with a battle with the snooze alarm, it's time to re-energize breakfast.
Mediterranean Diet RD, Brynn McDowell, (@the_domestic_dietitian) created this energizing Smoked Salmon Breakfast Wrap recipe for groggy mornings where coffee isn't cutting it.
A well balanced and energizing breakfast should include sources of carbohydrates, protein and health fats. This recipe contains all the above:
• Whole Wheat Tortilla - A source of fiber that can help stabilize blood sugar and avoid that mid-morning energy crash
• Smoked Salmon - A source of protein and healthy fats which provide your body with needed energy and help with proper vitamin and mineral absorption. The Omega 3 fatty acids found in salmon also support brain function.
• Avocado - A source of healthy fats, along with vitamins and minerals, that help keep you full and satisfied until your next meal
• Sprouts - High in vitamins and minerals that can help support blood circulation, digestive health and heart health
Smoked Salmon Breakfast Wrap
Makes 1 wrap
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- 4-5 pieces thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp sprouts
- ¼ small cucumber, cut into thin, sticks
- Spread cream cheese in a thin, even layer over tortilla
- Place smoked salmon at one end of the torilla (so it covers about 1/3 of tortilla)
- Top salmon with thinly sliced red onion, sprouts and cucumber
- Carefully wrap tortilla and cut in half